...and Now Luke is ONE

Friday, May 18, 2012
 My Dearest Luke,

My big ball of squishiness.
My wonderful, super duper angel.
The most perfect baby that ever lived.

I woke up today, picked you up from a warm slumber and held you close while I sang to you, the song my Grandpa Mario sang to us every year for 22 years. The song that means you are a year older, smarter, wiser, and more adorable.

Birthday's come but one a year
So I sing this message clear
Happy Birthday to you dear
Happy Birthday till next year

It's been simply an incredible year. Your arrival was different than the other 2 - I was so sad my last baby wasn't a girl.
But that's not your fault. Poor Daddy can't make girls.
And then you came.... and then you came.

Everything changed.
they say it will. and it does.
It did with the other two.

But this was different. This was YOU. You completed everything I didnt even know that I wanted. I had two perfect boys in Nicky and Luke and didnt know that what we were missing to our Abeling puzzle, was you, your magic, your sweetness - and boy have we been LUCKY.

You get the award for biggest Abeling boy. At your 1 year wellness check you were perfect.

You are 95% in weight (25.6 lbs), 95% in head circumference and 85% in height, 31 inches tall.

To compare, at 1 year Nicky was 25 pounds - 80th percentile, 30 inches - 75th percentile, and his head was in the 40th percentile; Brandon had the 45th percentile trifecta - weight, height, and head circumference. He clocked in at 23 pounds, 29.5 inches and your head is perfectly right below average - and thanks to his helmet, just P E R F E C T.

You have 14 teeth and the molars are coming in. You wear a size 6 shoe and wear a size 24 month in clothes. You are still the most perfect sleeper and I don't know what we did to get so lucky with you in that department. 

You aren't talking too much, but you have said Ma, da, uh-oh and maybe bye. We will keep working on it. You can point, wave, and clap. You are super smart and know not to go down the stairs all by yourself. You eat everything we eat now, and tonight we get to throw away the bottles for good!!

As I have said before watching you grow up has become one of my greatest pleasures. You and your brothers bring me so much joy that its obvious why I am here. For You. For Nicky. For Brandon. Forever.

And I have to continue to thank you my dear dear friend for capturing a so many of your magical moments this year. Life is sweeter with Luke. And my life is truly sweeter with Tara in it.  You can relive the magical pictures and the emotional sideshow of your birth on Tara's Life is Sweet blog

And below are the pictures from his 1year old Cake Smash!

The Announcement on May 18th

Wednesday, May 25, 2011
I thought it would be fun to save this status update on Facebook. 

Happy First Birthday, Brandon!

Saturday, July 10, 2010
Today, my little baby is One.

....and now you are One

Tuesday, July 13, 2010
 Dearest Brandon,

It's probably not fair that I write you a letter on your birthday, and you have to share this with Nicky.  I sat down and contemplated how fast this year has gone. A year ago, you arrived tiny and small, and squishy. You stole my heart immediately. I wasn't able to hold Nicky until hours after I delivered him...with you, I saw your precious face within seconds. You looked nothing like Nicky, and somehow I wasn't prepared for that. Speaking of Nicky, your brother did not know what to make of you. He screamed pretty loudly the first time he saw you in my arms. Right away you had so many nick names, Banjo (the one I dreamt before you were born) Brando, BB, Baby B, and soon Brandy Boy.

You have proven to be easier than your brother, and even now, you are so happy. You always have the biggest smile. Most people say that you are such an easy baby, so smiley, so infectious. Little do they know that you have developed quite the temper, but we are lucky that you haven't started actual temper tantrums as early as Nicky did.

You are very vocal now, and have conquered Ma, Da, Hi, Yeah, Uh-oh, and mayyybe we got a Bye. I think I heard Apple too. You use all these sounds interchangeably and now that you are in the Young Toddlers class at school, I wonder how quickly your vocabulary will blossom. You started walking right at 11 months, and you won't let anyone stop you. And you are so quick toddling around like a drunk sailor! You love the stairs and are a climber. You want to be as high and as tall as you can. You are also so agile, and have great balance and coordination. You are very good at stacking and putting things into their holes/spots. Your attention span seems to be lengthier than Nicky's was - IS -  even to this day.

You have 12 teeth, and teething has been miserable for you, as bad as it was for Nicky. Your hair is a couple shades lighter, and as you fall to sleep, you lightly tug on your hair. This must comfort you - kind of like when Nicky takes the tags on his bays and puts them in his ear as he falls asleep. I love to watch you sleep. You have not become attached to any toys, blankets, or bays like Nicky, but you do love your nini.

Your eyes are a curious grey/blue/grey - and the shape is definitely mine. In fact you are pretty much my spittin' image.  Actually there are 2 camps that think you and Nicky look like me, or that you and Nicky look like Dan. It's just so strange to me that you guys look NOTHING alike, but at times so similar. Your features are so different, so special, so beautiful, so Dan and Me.

At your 1 year wellness check you got the 45th percentile trifecta - weight, height, and head circumference. You clocked in at 23 pounds, 29.5 inches and your head is perfectly right below average - and thanks to your helmet, just P E R F E C T.

To compare, at 1 year Nicky was 25 pounds - 80th percentile, 30 inches - 75th percentile, and his head was in the 40th percentile.

As I have said before watching you grow up has become one of my greatest pleasures. You and your brother bring me so much joy that its obvious why I am here. For You. For Nicky. Forever.

 Below is the update I sent out right before Nicky's 1st Birthday.

Nicholas had a good weekend, 2 more weeks and he is 1 years old! I can't believe it. 4 more teeth are coming in - 2 top molars and 2 bottom molars for a total of 12 teeth and lots of long and miserable screaming fits. Honestly, no one tells you about the teething. Its just terrible and he doesn't handle pain very well - just like his mommy. Nicholas has also become prone to some tantrums recently. My favorite is when he throws his hands up and falls flat on the grown and lays there crying. I have to try not to laugh, its so cute. We went Strawberry picking this weekend at a farm about an hour away and he enjoyed the berries and mud. Nicholas met a horse for the first time and i can't wait until he is old enough for some lessons. Yesterday during our walk, we stopped and watched a flag football game with all these little boys. He was fascinated and I am pretty sure we may have a little Tom Brady in the making! (I'm hoping for early retirement :) ) Nicky now says momma, dadda, "gat" for cat "goud" for dog, and duck. I think we've heard nanna for banana and ne ne for something else, not sure yet.  Today was the second day in a row that he did not cry when I dropped him off at school and that made ME happy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts with Thumbnails