Nicky's Birth Story

Friday, May 10, 2013
I posted this a could years ago....but I thought I would share Nick's story again. 
FIVE years ago I met the man of my dreams when I held him for the first time. 
I am so proud of the most amazing thing I have ever created.


Monday, May 9, 2011
Three (five) years ago, I was sitting in my room, exactly where I am right now, so disappointed that a morning trip to the Hospital was dubbed a "false alarm". So disappointed that I was not holding a baby already.

It all started when I woke up on May 9th and assumed my water broke! I will spare everyone details but for those in the know, "the plug" came out! I ran into the guest bedroom where my mom was sleeping. I excitedly told her the news! It's time. Baby Nicholas is coming.

We called Bob and Val to catch a flight out, and I made Dan return as fast as he could from a trip to La Grange for work. I jumped in the shower, blew my hair dry, applied makeup, grabbed my bag, and jumped in the car.

{I should have known it was a false alarm when I had time to put on makeup. :)}

Dan met us in Labor and Delivery at Seton Main, and they checked me in. Sadly, 2 hours later, I was discharged and while feasting on the best smoked Gouda and apple wood bacon burger fromChez Zee, I realized it could be another week or so before I met my first born.

That evening, I walked around the block a couple times, massaged my ankles, and pouted. I was so sure he was coming, but it wasn't meant to be..

Three years ago, I had no idea what was about to happen. I had no idea how my life would change. How I would soon realize that there is no love like a mother's love for their babies. Little did I know, I didn't have to wait much longer...because at 4 am the very next morning...May water broke!

.:To be Continued:.


Friday, May 13, 2011
Earlier in the week, I began to tell the story of Nicholas' birth, which started for me on May 9th. .I left off saying that I had no idea what was in store....

Around 3 am the morning of May 10th, Dan and I were still drifting on and off to sleep, anxious and worried. Wondering how long we had to wait and excited because soon we would get to meet Baby Nicholas!

All night I felt like I was leaking, and finally at 4 am I got up to get my computer and do some research. As soon as I stood up, I  heard a gurgle and felt this huge wooosh. This time there was no question: MY WATER BROKE! and then the contractions started. My adrenaline started pumping, I screamed at Dan to get up, the water kept coming out, I was soaked. There was no time to shower, do my hair, or even put on make up. I grabbed a pair of sweats and changed and a towel because I was soaked again in an instant. We woke my mom and Bob up off we went to the hospital. The contractions were coming closer and closer and I felt huge amounts of pressure. I was already exhausted and it was such a different experience from the day before. I was exhilarated too. I was finally going to meet him!

Back then, Austin Area OBGYN was at Seton Main on 38th, so we drove down and parked in the expecting mothers parking. That gave me such a thrill! We checked in and got all set up. I was aiming for no medicine. IV's scared me, and I would rather poke my eyes out than have a large needle stuck into my spinal column.

Let me take a step back and mention how during your birthing classes, the instructors make out natural births to be so glamorous and exotic and relaxing:  birthing tubs and showers, exercise balls, massage oils, music, husbandly massages, and lots of support. The idea that I wasn't tied down to a bed was something else that made me consider going natural. So in my mind, I was going to go at it least that's what I told myself.

Once the Dr came in to check me, I was about 50% effaced and 5 or 6 centimeters dilated. They told me I won't have much time to decide if I want an epidural or not. I could progress rapidly so I needed to decide. At this point the contractions took a lot out of you, they left you breathless and tired. In the room was Dan, Mom, Bob, and Ray. Valerie and Shauna were on their way. It was hard for me to talk to anyone and I was getting tired.

The next time the Dr came in, he said I needed to decide as I progressed some more and soon I would be past the point of a successful epidural. After talking to Dan and evaluating the pain I was in, I decided to go for it.

I was terrified, I got my IV, which hurt like hell after they couldn't get a vein to work. both hands were poked until they found a good source. I curled up into a ball, put my feet on Dan's knees , tried not to cry or flinch as they swabbed my back and prayed that the Anesthesiologist would not hit a nerve or paralyze me.

I didn't really feel a thing. He was a god send, and I almost kissed him.

Immediately my legs felt heavy and numb, I needed people to help me move. I was so glad I didn't feel the catheter go in...Soon I started shaking with the chills because I had a reaction to the medicine, but at least I was comfortable and I didn't feel much after that...and then we waited.

Dan, the genius Dr he is, would read the baby monitor and tell me about Nicky's heart beats and mine. He would tell me I was having a contraction, even when I didn't know it. How strong they were, how many. He was such a good support. I fell asleep. Around 11 am, I was fully effaced but only 9 centimeters dilated.He was also head down, but facing UP towards my belly rather than my backside.

Dr. Uribe (Dr. Phillips was off) made the decision to give me pitocin to see if my contractions would get stronger and help me fully dilate, and turn him around. Around 12:45 pm, Dan was watching the heart beat monitors, looking really concerned. My contractions were getting really strong and he noticed Nicky's heart rate was dropping. He called the nurses who came in, looked at the monitor, and then they called Dr. Uribe. With in minutes, I was being wheeled to the OR - for a c- section! They had to get Nicky out quick - he was in distress.

I was rolled into a room, arms spread out, given anti-nausea pain medication. Things are fuzzy at this point, but the next thing I knew Dan was holding my hand telling me how wonderful and beautiful I was, I felt a ton of pressure in my belly and then I heard him for the first time. Nicholas! It was 1:03 pm.

They held him up so I could look at him...and he was the most beautiful baby I had ever seen. He was perfect 8 lbs, 11 ounces and 21 inches. Incredible. Dan was taken away with Nicky to the nursery to wash up and I was left alone. I drifted to sleep again, and I woke up in recovery. I kept asking for Nicky, and I found out later they "lost me".

About 30 minutes later they rolled me into my room and brought him to me. My life changed the minute I held him in my arms for the first time. I am so happy to be his Mommy.

Nicholas' first video below!

His first day on camera:


Post a Comment


Related Posts with Thumbnails