UPDATE as of 4:25...now we may not. we'll know more tomorrow.
Last week I mentioned that Brandon may get a helmet. He has moderate Plagiocephaly. Plagiocephaly (sounds like: playgioseffally) often results from external forces applied to the soft infant skull, or in his case, a baby that likes to lay on one side while sleeping or nursing. (he is not a motor boat like Nicky!)
I started noticing it when he was about 2 months old; that his head is sloped and flat on his right side. His pediatrician said not to worry, and to watch it. Well I don't think it has gotten worse, but its not getting better, so I asked for a referral. We took him to Cranial Technologies to get evaluated for a helmet or docBand. Below are some images of the actual docBand and it weighs less than a box of tissues. It is sculpted and shaped to custom fit his head. He will have to wear it for 23 hours for 8 - 10 weeks. A short period of time for a nice head for rest of his life.
Here are his personal mugshots.You can see how he leans a little to the left and how his head is a bit flat in the back. You will also notice the sloping of his forehead. Normal heads should look like this.
Dan and I have spent the last week talking to other families and dr's to make the best decision and here are some of our concerns:
- As he grows in the next 6 months to a year will his head round out anyways?
- Will hair come in and it won't be so noticeable?
- what if we DONT do it and we miss the prime opportunity window?
- are we being vain?
- Will he have dental or ear problems due to the forced nonalignment of his bones and head?
- Is it worth $3800 and does Insurance cover it?
- Will it hurt?
- Will he hate it? Will the dogs eat it? Will Nicky want one?
- Can I decorate it (ok, kidding aside, i think an "under construction" picture would be so cute! You send away and this wonderful lady paints them for you. How awesome is that?)