Texas Bluebonnets - Texas Pride

Wednesday, April 7, 2010
3 years ago I moved to Texas and saw the craziest thing: PEOPLE TAKING PICTURES OF THEIR KIDS IN THE WEEDS! ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD! EVERYWHERE! Then  I learned about the Texas bluebonnets.

...As historian Jack Maguire so aptly wrote, "It's not only the state flower but also a kind of floral trademark almost as well known to outsiders as cowboy boots and the Stetson hat." He goes on to affirm that "The bluebonnet is to Texas what the shamrock is to Ireland, the cherry blossom to Japan, the lily to France, the rose to England and the tulip to Holland." 

Apparently, there is a rather annoying tradition of people wanting to take pictures of their children (and Pets!) in the bluebonnets once they sprout in early March all the way through Mothers Day... consequently, most of the displays beside the highways, which the State seeds at some expense, end up looking pummeled. Apparently a  few years ago, the Texas State Troopers started ticketing people for grabbing a handfuls of them... that's illegal! (Like picking California State Poppies)

Anyhow,  if you have kids its is not only normal but EXPECTED to act like a nut every March/April, get your kids all dressed up, walk through mud and dirt to get these actually really gorgeous and totally Texas pictures. And well, if you know me, then you know, that I HAD TO DO IT TOO! I love embracing tradition!!
Year One Pictures  - Just Roxy Roo, first born and still my princess
(courtesy of Shauna and Val and her camera phone)

0411081229a

Year TWO - Nicholas & Brandon on the way...
(photo credit Georges Schemagin)
Roxy and Zeus (yes I know those are not technically bluebonnets, but they are so pretty!)
Victoria and Nicholasclappingwhat is this?
Roxy Roomarch 9 137
Year THREE 
I hopped over the back fence this past weekend and had Shauna take pictures of the puppies in the bluebonnets. I call these "Boston Bluebonnets" (original huh?)
DSC01808
One of my good friends, Tara Pottichen is very talented, starting her own photo boutique, and offered (maybe I begged?) to take pictures of the boys in the bluebonnets. We set off last night and look at just SOME of the fantastic pictures she took. I am so in awe of her talent..and my beautiful babies :)



0 comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts with Thumbnails